Setting up a New CommCareHQ Project
Note: If you already have a CommCareHQ account, you can sign in by clicking on the bright blue bottom on the top right and go directly to Part 2.
- Navigate to www.commcarehq.org
- Click on the big green “Sign Up for Free” button
- Click “Sign Up for Free”
- Fill out your name, Email address (you should have access to this email address immediately) and choose a password. We strongly recommend you join our mailing list too. We do not send a lot of messages, but the messages we do send are important- announcements about new features, fixed bugs, and any server downtime.
- Find the Email that was automatically sent (you may have to look in your spam folder). The email comes from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click on the link in the email to complete your sign up process
- Choose a “project name” A project name can be anything you want - it is going to appear in all of your reports and url links in the future, and you cannot change. However, you can always create a new project later. Many people make a practice space by just using a name like "roberttest"
- Click on “Create Project” to get started
What is a project space? Is that different from a CommCareHQ account?
Every project has its own site on CommCareHQ. You can have one, or more than one inter-related applications in your project. You can change your project space name by selecting the gear icon in the upper right hand corner and selecting Project Settings > Basic. Please note that changing the project name will not change the URL that you use to access the project space. Many people create and maintain a separate project space for practice and testing. If you, as a CommCareHQ Web User create, or are invited to, multiple project spaces, after logging into CommCareHQ you will be able to choose which space you want to work in. Data are not shared among project spaces, so unless you invite someone else to your workspace, no one will be able to see your application or your data.
Great! Now we’re ready to start building! Go on to Part 2.