The bulk application translation tool allows you to manage all of the translations in your application through one Excel file. These include:
- The name of each form and menu
- The filepaths for form and menu icons
- The label for cases
- Case list and details
- All form content, including labels, and filepaths for multimedia
Using the Bulk Application Translations Tool
Downloading the Spreadsheet
The bulk application translation relies on a structured Excel file. Click the settings icon next to the name of your application. There, you can download this file by navigating to the Bulk Application Translations file in the Language tab of your application:
Before downloading the file make sure that you have already added any languages you want to the Language List. You can change the order later if you choose to.
Download the structured file by clicking on the green button:
The Excel Translation File
When you open the Excel file you will see it has a number of tabs:
General Module and Form Info
The Modules_and_forms sheet allows you to specify the name of features at the menu and general form level. There is a row for each menu and a row for each form. There a couple columns pre-populated for each item:
- Type - this is pre-populated with Form or Module. DO NOT CHANGE THIS FIELD
- sheet_name - this specifies the location of the form or module. DO NOT CHANGE THIS FIELD
- unique_id - DO NOT CHANGE THIS FIELD
For each form or module you can specify the following fields (for each of these there will be one additional column for each language, indicated by the language code at the end of the name):
- default_lanuage (ex. default_en) - allows you to specify the name of the form or module in a given language.
- label_for_cases_language (ex. label_for_cases_en) - allows you to specify the name of the case type that is shown in each module, which is relevant in case lists on the phone. THIS IS ONLY APPLICABLE TO MODULES
- icon_filepath - allows you to specify one filepath for an image to appear in the module or form list
- audio_filepath - allows you to specify one filepath for audio files for the module or form list
Below is an example:
Details of Module and Form Content
For each menu in the app there will be one tab (ex. module1, module2) and for each form with a unique menu, a separate tab (ex. module1_form1, module1_form2)
On the module tabs you can specify translations for the case list and case details screens. The excel file will have the following fields
- case_property - the name of the case property to be displayed in the case list or details. DO NOT CHANGE THIS FIELD
- list_or_detail - whether the property appears in the case list or case details. DO NOT CHANGE THIS FIELD
- default_language - there is a column for each language where you can specify the translation.
If there is ID mapping in your case list or details the template will have a separate row for each option. Next to the case property will be a note about whether the line is the general text or one of the mapping values.
If there are graphs in your case list or details the template will have a separate row for each graph title and annotation.
Form tabs follow the same structure as Form Bulk Translation.
WARNING: Changing order of forms in the App Builder
If you change the order of any forms or modules in the app builder you will need to download the Excel Translation File again and start over. The file references the order of the forms and modules and the upload will fail if they no longer match.
Uploading the Translations
Once you have updated the translations you can return to the Bulk Application Translations tab and upload the file.
If you have any errors you should see a message explaining the error. After fixing the error you can try again.
In general the application builder will skip any single item that has an error and make all of the other changes, so another option is to just make any final changes in the Application Builder.
- The bulk application file cannot manage translations of the application name
- If you delete any rows or tabs you will see an error message that some fields are missing; however the rest of the app will be translated without any issues.
- Making changes to anything other than translations or media filepaths will not actually cause that change to occur in the app and could result in problems with the bulk translation tool.