Procure a Mobile Device Management Tool
We strongly recommend you procure a mobile device management tool to manage your devices, the data used on the devices, the apps used, and the time spent on each app. Dimagi has an MDM solution you can consider called Focus that is tailor-made for international development projects with low-or-no connectivity. We have seen large i-NGO's use MDM solutions to secure their patient/user data, save money with restricted data usage and increase their frontline productivity.
CommCare works on two mobile systems- Android smartphones and J2ME/Java/Nokia-style feature phones. This article provides links to our best practices for procuring and managing such devices for both small- and large-scale projects.
Selecting a Phone
- Choosing a Device Type - some issues to consider when deciding what type of platform to use: Feature phone vs Android device, and for Android devices tablet vs phone
- Recommended Phones and Choosing a Phone - some key things to think about when selecting a specific device model, including a list of recommended phones/tablets
Selecting a Mobile Provider
- Solutions for Charging Phones in Areas with Poor Electricity - creative ways to charge up your phones when electricity supply is a problem
- Mobile User contracts - example contracts that can be used when giving phones to mobile users
- Developing procedures for managing phones in your project - guidance and suggestions for developing phone management plans
- Upgrading the CommCare mobile software - instructions for how to upgrade to the most recent version of the CommCare mobile software released by Dimagi
- Updating CommCare application content - instructions for how to update to a new version of the CommCare mobile application content that is designed for your project
Android Smartphones (CommCare)
- CommCare for Android Smartphones - overview of CommCare (generic user guide)
- CommCare Form Management Features - explains the use of saved/incomplete forms
- Phone Setup Guide - information about how to configure an Android phone so it can be easily used with CommCare
- General Installation instructions for CommCare for Android
SkillTrain in India-based social enterprise that develops training resources for vocational trainings like mobile phone or other electronics repair. They have videos available on their YouTube channel (in Hindi) that address some basic skills like transferring files between mobile phone and computer, and basic use of smartphones, in addition to advanced mobile repair techniques.