Popular Help Content
When users send a message to your project's SMS gateway, they normally pay a per message cost - this is exactly like them sending a message to a friend. Since this cost can dissuade users from using your messaging system, some gateways are reverse billed. This means that users can send messages for free to the gateway, but and you (the gateway) will pay for those messages instead of the user paying for them.
There are two types of costs associated with SMS - a monthly software plan cost for CommCareHQ and a per-message cost.
- SMS Pricing Plan: To use SMS, you must be on the Standard or above software plan. The Standard plan allow for outgoing messages (messages from CommCareHQ to a user). To receive messages from users (example, users respond to surveys or send in information), you must be in the Pro or above pricing plan.
- Per Messages Costs:
- If using a
- that Dimagi owns, your CommCare invoices will charge
- the per-
- SMS fee
- charged by the SMS gateway. The charge from the SMS Gateway can fluctuate and also depends on exchange rates as well as the destination number's country and network.
- If using a Telerivet gateway, you may have to pay a monthly fee to Telerivet for use of their
- based on your subscription, as well as pay for the cost of the phone, it's phone plan, and the cost of messages to and from the phone.
- In all cases, your CommCare invoices will charge a USD 0.01 per SMS surcharge paid to Dimagi.
- In all cases, large messages can be charged as multiple SMS. Typically, an SMS sent using only the Roman alphabet is charged as one SMS per about 160 characters, and an SMS sent using special characters is charged as one SMS per about 70 characters.
New In Country Gateways
For larger high-volume projects in countries we do not already support, Dimagi can support purchasing and connecting a new gateway to CommCareHQ if your subscription allows it. SMS gateways can be purchased directly from a cell phone company in a country, or from an aggregator that resells phone numbers. Setting up a new gateway requires a significant amount of time and can have high costs. After identifying potential providers, please use the Aggregator Evaluation Worksheet to ensure that key questions are asked and answered during meetings with respective telcos/aggregators. Once you have selected an appropriate gateway provider based on project requirements (cost, setup time, reverse billing), the gateway can we be connected to CommCareHQ with assistance from Dimagi's developer team. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.