Popular Help Content
This page will explain some basic concepts of SMS Messaging in CommCareHQ.
SMS as a Medium
SMS, as a medium, is like email in that information is not encrypted before being sent. This means that you should not include personally identifiable or sensitive information in SMS, just as you would not in an email.
SMS is also not a medium that is 100% reliable. Messages can be dropped due to network issues and often there is no way for a sender to know if the recipient actually received the message. For this reason, SMS should not be used for situations such as reaching out for help in a life-threatening emergency, and other more reliable mediums should be used instead.
With all of this in mind, SMS does make a good medium for use cases such as generic SMS messaging campaigns, appointment reminders, or alerts.
How CommCare HQ Sends Messages
When users send a message to your project's SMS gateway, they normally pay a per message cost - this is exactly like them sending a message to a friend. Since this cost can dissuade users from using your messaging system, some gateways are reverse billed. This means that users can send messages for free to the gateway, but and you (the gateway) will pay for those messages instead of the user paying for them.
There are two types of costs associated with SMS - a monthly software plan cost for CommCareHQ and a per-message cost.
- SMS Pricing Plan: To use SMS, you must be on the Standard or above software plan. The Standard plan allow for outgoing messages (messages from CommCareHQ to a user). To receive messages from users (example, users respond to surveys or send in information), you must be in the Pro or above pricing plan.
- Per Messages Costs:
- If using a
- integrated with CommCareHQ, your CommCare invoices will charge
- the per-
- charged by the SMS gateway. The charge from the SMS Gateway can fluctuate and also depends on exchange rates as well as the destination number's country and network.
- If using a Telerivet gateway, you may have to pay a monthly fee to Telerivet for use of their
- based on your subscription, as well as pay for the cost of the phone, it's phone plan, and the cost of messages to and from the phone.
- In all cases, your CommCare invoices will charge a USD 0.01 per SMS surcharge paid to Dimagi.
- In all cases, large messages can be charged as multiple SMS. Typically, an SMS sent using only the Roman alphabet is charged as one SMS for each 160 characters (roughly), and an SMS sent using special characters is charged as one SMS for each 70 characters (roughly).
New In Country Gateways
For larger high-volume projects in countries we do not already support, Dimagi can support purchasing and connecting a new gateway to CommCareHQ if your subscription allows it. SMS gateways can be purchased directly from a cell phone company in a country, or from an aggregator that resells phone numbers. Setting up a new gateway requires a significant amount of time and can have high costs. After identifying potential providers, please use the Aggregator Evaluation Worksheet to ensure that key questions are asked and answered during meetings with respective telcos/aggregators. Once you have selected an appropriate gateway provider based on project requirements (cost, setup time, reverse billing), the gateway can we be connected to CommCareHQ with assistance from Dimagi's developer team. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.