Popular Help Content
|More than 30 Reports: Please contact us at |
This feature (Report Builder) is only available to CommCare users with an Standard on a Pro Plan or higher as an Add-On to a paid subscription. The add-on price is based on the following numbers of reports:
. This will provide access to 5 reports. For more reports, please contact email@example.com so we can discuss your reporting needs.
Report Builder Overview
The report builder is a tool for CommCareHQ users to build basic web-based reports based on the data collected in their project's applications. Unlike CommCare's Worker Monitoring Reports, the reports built with this tool are specifically tailored to data collected in your project and can be configured by anyone with access to the reports section of CommCareHQ.
There are four main three types of reports:
|Chart||Bar or pie chart which shows the distribution of different choices/values for one question or case property|
|Form or Case List|
Table with a list of individual forms or cases with custom filters and columns
Table with custom data aggregated to one row per mobile worker
|Data Table||Table of data that aggregates (gives you one row per value) for a chosen case property or form questionList||This is a table with a basic list of data (either a list of forms or cases)|
This is a report that contains summarized data based on a chosen case property or form question (i.e. data aggregated by mobile worker or by region).
You can add a bar or pie chart to this report.
This will allow you to display a list of cases or forms and plot their location on a map.
General Steps to Building a Report
Go to the Reports tab in CommCareHQ and choose + Create new report (if you do not see this option, make sure that your subscription is active in the Project Space Settings)
Based upon the descriptions in the table above, choose the type of report you want to create. Don't worry if you realize later you selected the wrong type of report; you can always delete it and make a new one.
2: Select a data source
The second step is to give your report a name and select the data source.
Choose your report's name and data source. The name can be anything you want - but should be descriptive since this is the name that will show up on CommCareHQ on the list of reports.
NOTE: It is not currently possible to change the report name.
Each report is based on either a case or a form data source. Select the general type of data you want to use (form or case) and then drill down to the exact case type or specific form that you want to use as the basis for your report.
2: Configure the report
In this step you will be selecting the columns you want to display in your report, the filters you want to include, and some other aggregation options, depending upon the report. You can come back to this page and make changes later.
- Based upon the selected data source, CommCare will provide a list of possible properties or questions to show in the columns. You can have up to 10 columns in a report.
- Filters are also based on the data source, but include some default options - for example the username and case status.
- This page looks different for each type of report, but the general structure is the same.
- For data table and worker reports, you can select a column aggregation format. Column aggregation determines the way in which data is presented in each column:
- "Count per choice" (default): Count per each unique value that is found per row. This is useful for multi-select questions in which you want to see the number of forms/cases with each option chosen.
- "Sum": Sum of the values for each row.
- "Average": Average (statistical mean) of the values for each row.
4: Test out the report
You can now configure your report and get a live preview of your report! The relevant configurations areas are highlighted below:
Report Name and Description:
Set a name and description for the report by clicking the Edit pencil next to each text field.
Choose the type of report you'd like (a list of records, a summary or a map).
Add indicators to your report by choosing a case property or form question and then clicking on the blue + button. Drag and drop properties to re-order them.
If you have a summary report, you will also see a "Format" column. The options here are:
- Group By: This will summarize that particular property (creating one row for each unique value of that property).
- Count Per Choice: This will create one column for each unique value of the property. For example, if you have a Yes / No question, this will create two columns, a Yes column and a No column. Each column will contain the number of forms / cases that had that particular answer.
- Sum: This will sum up the answers for that column
- Average: This will average the answers for that column
This section will let you add filters that can be used when viewing the report. Choose "+ Add User Filter" and then choose the column you want to filter on. The format column will control how the filter appears - Choice filters will let you choose one of the possible values of the property, Date filters will let you choose a date range.
Default filters are always applied to the report (so that users don't need to manually apply the filters). For example, you may add a default filter so that only open cases are shown in the report. The Date format will let you automatically filter the report to default date ranges (i.e. the previous month or the last 7 days).
If you are building a Summary report, you can also add a chart. The chart types are "Bar" and "Pie". Bar charts will show one bar per each column that is summed or averaged. Pie charts will show the breakdown of the first column that is summed or averaged.
If you are building a Map report, you also need to choose a location field. This is the field that contains the GPS location that you want to plot (the GPS location can be captured manually in a form or through Automatic GPS Capture.)
4: Test out the report
Click "View Report" to actually view and use the report.
You can always edit the report by clicking on the blue edit button on the top right of the report.