Popular Help Content
CommCareHQ allows you to setup SMS surveys and reminders. These can be integrated with the data for existing CommCare application or provide a stand-alone SMS system. The overall reminder and survey system is called CommConnect.
Here are some example use cases:
- Sending a reminder to a health worker when one of their beneficiaries is due for a delivery.
- Sending counselling messages to beneficiaries (for example, reminding them to take their iron pills).
- Sending a short survey to a beneficiary (for example, asking if they've attended a clinic)
- Have a patient request information from the system. For example, if they are enrolled in a smoking cessation study, they may request support messages from the system.
At a high level, CommConnect lets you do the following:
In order to send SMS to an Indian number, that number may need to opt-in to receive SMS. It's a best practice to have each Indian number you want to send sms to follow the opt-in process. Details can be found here: SMS In India
Setup Your Project
- Set a Time Zone: Since many reminders are sent at a specific time, its important to specify the time zone for your project. This can be done through Time Zone Settings.
Both cases and mobile workers need to be configured specially for use with CommConnect.
This feature (Messaging) is only available to CommCare users with a Standard Plan or higher. For more details, see the CommCare Software Plan page.
- Getting Started with Messaging
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Messaging Vocabulary
- SMS Basics
- Gateway Options for SMS Projects
Starter Applications and Tutorials
- Messaging Beginner Tutorial: This builds a basic application that sends reminder messages to pregnant women and health workers
- SMS Survey Tutorial: This adds to the beginner tutorial and sets up a two-way SMS survey to each pregnant woman
- Keywords Tutorial: This allows you to setup a basic data collection system using SMS keywords
- Setup an SMS Survey: This page describes how to setup an initial SMS survey.
- Broadcast Messaging
- Conditional Alerts
- Viewing Scheduled Messaging Events
- Setup Multiple Languages: This page describes how to support multiple languages and translate built-in text.
Data and Reports
Messaging provides a set of reports and tools to manage your project data.
- CommCare Messaging Dashboard: Summarizes important metrics for your project
- CommCare Messaging Reports: Information on reports available on CommCare HQ
- CommCare Messaging Exports: Information on exporting your messaging data outside of CommCare.
SMS Testing and Troubleshooting
- SMS & GPRS
- Case Studies