Popular Help Content
CommCareHQ allows you to setup SMS surveys and reminders. These can be integrated with the data for existing CommCare application or provide a stand-alone SMS system. The overall reminder and survey system is called CommConnect.
Here are some example use cases:
- Sending a reminder to a health worker when one of their beneficiaries is due for a delivery.
- Sending counselling messages to beneficiaries (for example, reminding them to take their iron pills).
- Sending a short survey to a beneficiary (for example, asking if they've attended a clinic)
- Have a patient request information from the system. For example, if they are enrolled in a smoking cessation study, they may request support messages from the system.
At a high level, CommConnect lets you do the following:
- Recipients - Messages can be sent to a mobile worker (ex. a CHW) or a phone number stored in a case (ex. the beneficiary)
- Timed and Conditional Messages - Messages can be controlled and scheduled based on the state of a case (ex. the delivery date or whether a mother is high risk)
- Simple Message - A simple text message can be sent that references information in the case (ex. the case's name)
- Interactive Survey - An interactive SMS survey (based on a form designed in CommCareHQ). This can be used to update or close a particular case
- Incoming Keywords - A user can initiate interaction with the system (ex. requesting a counselling message) by sending a message to the system
Both cases and mobile workers need to be configured specially for use with CommConnect.
This feature (Messaging) is only available to CommCare users with a Standard Plan or higher. For more details, see the CommCare Software Plan page.
- Getting Started with Messaging
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Messaging Vocabulary
- SMS Basics
- Gateway Options for SMS Projects
Starter Applications and Tutorials
- Messaging Beginner Tutorial: This builds a basic application that sends reminder messages to pregnant women and health workers
- SMS Survey Tutorial: This adds to the beginner tutorial and sets up a two-way SMS survey to each pregnant woman
- Keywords Tutorial: This allows you to setup a basic data collection system using SMS keywords
- Setup an SMS Survey: This page describes how to setup an initial SMS survey.
- Broadcast Messaging
- Conditional Alerts
- Viewing Scheduled Messaging Events
- Setup Multiple Languages: This page describes how to support multiple languages and translate built-in text.
Data and Reports
Messaging provides a set of reports and tools to manage your project data.
- CommCare Messaging Dashboard: Summarizes important metrics for your project
- CommCare Messaging Reports: Information on reports available on CommCare HQ
- CommCare Messaging Exports: Information on exporting your messaging data outside of CommCare.
SMS Testing and Troubleshooting
- SMS & GPRS
- Case Studies