CommCareHQ allows you to setup SMS surveys and reminders. These can be integrated with the data for existing CommCare application or provide a stand-alone SMS system. The overall reminder and survey system is called CommConnect.
Here are some example use cases:
- Sending a reminder to a health worker when one of their beneficiaries is due for a delivery.
- Sending counselling messages to beneficiaries (for example, reminding them to take their iron pills).
- Sending a short survey to a beneficiary (for example, asking if they've attended a clinic)
- Have a patient request information from the system. For example, if they are enrolled in a smoking cessation study, they may request support messages from the system.
At a high level, CommConnect lets you do the following:
- Recipients - Messages can be sent to a mobile worker (ex. a CHW) or a phone number stored in a case (ex. the beneficiary)
- Timed and Conditional Messages - Messages can be controlled and scheduled based on the state of a case (ex. the delivery date or whether a mother is high risk)
- Simple Message - A simple text message can be sent that references information in the case (ex. the case's name)
- Interactive Survey - An interactive SMS survey (based on a form designed in CommCareHQ). This can be used to update or close a particular case
- Incoming Keywords - A user can initiate interaction with the system (ex. requesting a counselling message) by sending a message to the system
Both cases and mobile workers need to be configured specially for use with CommConnect.
Note on Case Sharing: At the moment, if you're using Case Sharing for you application, there are some restrictions on which mobile workers can get sent a reminder. CommConnect can only send a reminder to the last user who modified the case. This means if a nurse and health worker are sharing a case, you won't be able to notify the nurse if a health worker identifies a high-risk patient.