One of the primary uses of CommConnect is to send out surveys via SMS.
Some common use cases:
- Asking a patient if they have taken their medication
- Asking a community health worker some questions about their most recent visit
Surveys are very easy to build because they use the same Form Builder as CommCare.
1. Getting Started
Navigate to the tab that is called "Surveys." It is possible that your space will say "Applications" instead; this is due to your project's settings and should not affect your ability to create a survey.
2. Design your Survey
Referencing the Form Builder Page, you can think through the different types of questions you may want to include in your survey, and how you want the structure of your survey.
The most common question types for SMS Surveys are:
- Multiple Choice - Single Answer
- Multiple Choice - Multiple Answer
- Label - is a message that does not require any action- it is only to provide information
Be sure to consult the CommConnect best practices for helpful hints on designing a good survey.
Let's imagine we want to create a survey like this:
- Did you go to the clinic today? Yes/No
- Great! What doctor did you see?
- Why not? Clinic was closed/I felt fine/Too far/Was busy
- Going to the clinic is important- please call 555-555 to reschedule your appointment.
We can add a bit more detail to make it easier to build. For each question you'll want to define:
- Question ID- how do you want the answer to the question to be tagged in the data export
- Label Text- the text that will be sent to the recipient
- Question Type- which of the question types above
- Options- if a multiple choice answer, what are the choices
- Display Condition- when do you want the message to be sent?
Below you can see one way of thinking about our survey:
|Question ID||Label Text||Question Type||Options||Display Condition|
|went_to_clinic||Did you go to the clinic today?||Multiple Choice-Single Answer||Yes, No||Always show|
Great! What doctor did you see?
|Text||-||If went_to_clinic = Yes|
|why_no_clinic||Why not?||Multiple Choice-Multiple Answer||Clinic was closed, I felt fine, Too far, Was busy||If went_to_clinic = No|
Going to the clinic is important- please call 555-555 to reschedule your appointment.
|Label||-||If went_to_clinic = No|