Custom Registration Data is an advanced tool that enables you to store and reference additional information about your mobile workers. By default, when you register a new mobile user you can specify their username, first name, last name, e-mail address, language, role, and phone number. Custom Registration Data allows any number of additional fields. For example, you could note a category of user, additional location data, or other metadata.
Custom Registration Data is useful if you want to be able to able to reference additional information about users in forms or cases. For example, you may automatically want to store the user's district or village as part of any cases they register to make future data analysis easier.
How to Add Custom Registration Data
1. CommCareHQ User Interface
You can add custom registration data directly when registering or editing a mobile worker.
- After clicking on "Add a Mobile Worker" go to the "Custom Registration Data" tab
- Click on "Edit"
- Add the "key" (i.e. the name of the property about your user) and the "value mapping" (i.e. the value of the property about your user). For example, if you wanted to store a number related to level of training called training_level, it would look like this:
- When you have added your data, click DONE and you will return to your user registration
- IMPORTANT!!! You then have to click on "Update Information" or your changes will not be saved. Also, there is no warning message about unsaved changes if you navigate away from this page, so be careful
2. Bulk Upload
You can use the "Upload Mobile Workers in Bulk" tool to add and update custom registration data.
- Download the your current users excel file
- Add additional columns. It should be in this format: data: field_name. So, for example, if in your forms you only want to ask certain questions if your user has a training level of 3, you can create a column called data: training_level . If you've already added some custom registration data, these should be already included in the export.
- Save and upload it!
How to Reference Custom User Data in an Application
You will have to reference the user data through the commcaresession: instance('commcaresession')/session/user/data/user_data_name
So for example, to reference the training_level data such that you only want user with training level 3 to see something, you would need to refer to the following:
if(count(instance('commcaresession')/session/user/data/training_level) > 0, instance('commcaresession')/session/user/data/training_level, 'Unknown')
another example, for 'village'
if(count(instance('commcaresession')/session/user/data/village) > 0, instance('commcaresession')/session/user/data/village, "Unknown")
The use of the "if" statement prevents CommCare from panicking if it can't find a value for training_level