This feature requires a CommCare Software Plan
This feature (Report Builder) is only available to CommCare users with an Standard Plan or higher as an Add-On to a paid subscription. The add-on price is based on the following numbers of reports:
- 5 Reports: $100 per month
- 15 Reports: $200 per month
- 30 Reports: $300 per month
- More than 30 Reports: Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can discuss your reporting needs
Report Builder Overview
The report builder is a tool for CommCareHQ users to build basic web-based reports based on the data collected in their project's applications. Unlike CommCare's Worker Monitoring Reports, the reports built with this tool are specifically tailored to data collected in your project and can be configured by anyone with access to the reports section of CommCareHQ.
There are four main types of reports:
|Chart||Bar or pie chart which shows the distribution of different choices/values for one question or case property|
|Form or Case List|
Table with a list of individual forms or cases with custom filters and columns
Table with custom data aggregated to one row per mobile worker
Table of data that aggregates (gives you one row per value) for a chosen case property or form question
General Steps to Building a Report
1: Choose a report type
Go to the Reports tab in CommCareHQ and choose + Create new report (if you do not see this option, make sure that your subscription is active in the Project Space Settings)
Based upon the descriptions in the table above, choose the type of report you want to create. Don't worry if you realize later you selected the wrong type of report; you can always delete it and make a new one.
2: Select a data source
The second step is to give your report a name and select the data source. The name can be anything you want - but should be descriptive since this is the name that will show up on CommCareHQ on the list of reports.
NOTE: It is not currently possible to change the report name.
Each report is based on either a case or a form data source. Select the general type of data you want to use (form or case) and then drill down to the exact case type or specific form that you want to use as the basis for your report.
3: Configure the report settings
In this step you will be selecting the columns you want to display in your report, the filters you want to include, and some other aggregation options, depending upon the report. You can come back to this page and make changes later.
- Based upon the selected data source, CommCare will provide a list of possible properties or questions to show in the columns. You can have up to 10 columns in a report.
- Filters are also based on the data source, but include some default options - for example the username and case status.
- This page looks different for each type of report, but the general structure is the same.
- For data table and worker reports, you can select a column aggregation format. Column aggregation determines the way in which data is presented in each column:
- "Count per choice" (default): Count per each unique value that is found per row. This is useful for multi-select questions in which you want to see the number of forms/cases with each option chosen.
- "Sum": Sum of the values for each row.
- "Average": Average (statistical mean) of the values for each row.
4: Test out the report
After you save the report settings you will be able to see your new report!
You can always edit the report by clicking on the blue edit button on the top right of the report.
Notes and Limitations
- Most Report Builder reports can be saved and emailed like regular reports
- Chart type reports will not send the pie chart or bar chart in the email
- It is not currently possible to directly export reports; however if you save and set them to be emailed reports then you can include a Excel version in the emailed reports
- Multiple languages are not currently supported in report builder reports