Integrating your CommCare data with Power BI or Tableau has never been this easy!
- Step 1: Configure your Odata feed (just like you configure a Form or Case Export)
- Step 2: Copy the Odata feed/s
- Step 3: On Power BI / Tableau Desktop, select Odata Feed/Odata as your connection type.
- Step 4: Enter your Odata feed/s, and login using your CommCare credentials (Note: If you are using 2FA, specify your API key as the password. Your API Key can be found under you My Account Settings.)
- Power BI Desktop: Use Basic Authentication
- Tableau Desktop: Use authentication type 'Username and Password'
You can also follow along in the video below to see how the integration is set up with Tableau:
Useful docs from Microsoft and Tableau:
- The feature requires your web user role to have Full Organization Access.
- If you are using 2 factor authentication, please enter your regular email address and your API Key (as password) when Power BI / Tableau Desktop asks for credentials.
- Odata feeds do not support incremental refresh, i.e. each time you refresh, the entire dataset is refreshed. You can mitigate performance issues by publishing the data viz/report from Tableau/PowerBi Desktop to Tableau Online or PowerBI Service, where you can configure the data viz/report to refresh automatically on a schedule defined by you. If you are still unhappy with the performance, please consider using our Data Export Tool to build a CommCare → SQL DB → PowerBi/Tableau data pipeline. Our Data Export tool supports incremental refresh and designed for enabling performant data pipelines.